Arizona's immigration law states...
"For any lawful contact made by a law enforcement official or a law enforcement agency…where reasonable suspicion exists that the person is an alien who is unlawfully present in the United States, a reasonable attempt shall be made, when practicable, to determine the immigration status of the person…"
Ok, so when asked "do you think this will lead to racial profiling?" police are saying "it's not like we are just going to go around just arresting people that look like they are from another country."
They will only arrest people who are "reasonably suspicious" or whatever they say. This means that the person will have to have beem committing a crime or have other reasons to be pulled over or arrested. So, after being arrested or pulled over, if the cop is suspicious that the person is an illegal immigrant than they can ask for paper work and so on...
My thing is, what makes you suspicious that someone is an illegal immigrant. The only answer I can come up with is skin color or racial profiling. I'm not saying that the amount of illegal immigrants is not a problem or whatever because I really don't know much about it. However, I will say that there kind of isn't a way that a law like this could be passed without there being some sort of racial issue unless they asked for paperwork or whatever they ask for from everyone they stopped. If they do so then I guess things would be different because you can't tell where someone is from just from their appearance. Someone could have Mexican heritage but be born and raised in the United States. Also, someone could be born in Mexico but born to white parents so they don't look Mexican at all and can never get asked to provide legal documentation that they are a citizen. I'm just saying they need to be fair about this and make sure it doesn't turn into a racial thing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment