In a California high school the athlete's collaborative GPAs for each sport are posted on the school's website. They also have posters hanging up in the hallways of athletes reading and helping each other and have a very strict policy when it comes to having good grades in order to play.
I feel as though this is a very good structure and every school, especially the high school's in York, need to practice this. They claim that the rule exists where if you get bad grades you don't play. But truthfully, as a former varsity cheerleader, I know the inside scoop. At my old high school, York High, players, especially very valued Varsity players, were often told "i'm going to let you slide." To many of the coaches winning was very important and players often played while their grades in some of their classes were Ds and Fs. Even some of the teachers were in on it. I remember teachers giving players extensions on papers and ignoring MVPs that would be texting on their cell phones or talking in class. I guess it was the fear of getting them detention or suspended so that they couldn't play in the games. I know that I am definitely not the only one who witnessed this during their high school days.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment